Monday, May 23, 2011

Family Radio: Enough Is Enough!

This is a post that brings me no joy to write. Just as God takes no joy in the death of the wicked, I don't believe He takes joy in the fall of the unrepentant either. I grieve for the proud, erroneous, and now pretty much incoherent path that Harold Camping has followed away from Biblical truth and into his own mix of numerology, allegory, and theological error that led him to look at a blatantly false teaching he made and stand up before reporters with a straight face and tell them he had been mostly right.

What angered me more, however, was the absolute callousness and cruelty he demonstrated toward those followers of his who gave up everything to spread his message. When asked if he felt any responsibility, Camping basically said (after several minutes of hemming and hawing) that it was their choice, they should ask God for help, and sometimes being destitute and desperate leads to a closer walk with God. Funny that he himself didn't sell all his possessions, liquidate Family Stations, or even acknowledge that he would do so as a possibility for his new date, October 21.

As I posted before, I used to listen to Family Radio many years ago, and was blessed by its ministry. I listened again tonight, to see if Camping would indeed repent. I will not listen again. (OK, maybe on October 22nd; he has to be out of excuses by then, right??). I am also going on record tonight as advising anyone I know to avoid Family Radio, unless and until the board and the stations repudiate Harold Camping's false teachings and return to Biblically sound, orthodox teaching.

It will, of course, be hard to monitor this while not listening, but I get to enough Christian outlets that somewhere I should see if this happens. (I have heard rumors that WFME, Newark may be ready to move away from Campingism, but I'll believe it when I see it.)

Watching an old friend waste away and drift into oblivion is not easy. I could simply turn away myself and just never talk about FR again. However, I think the hubris, arrogance, and meanness shown by Harold Camping tonight require me to openly state what I believe about this fiasco, and to also state that I will not support FR even by listening to it. I pray the Lord will open the eyes of all involved with FR and bring them back to Jesus and the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment