Saturday, November 30, 2013

Happy Chanukah!

I know it falls outside of the Biblical record (at least as far as Jews and most Protestants are concerned), but I want to wish you all a Happy Chanukah. I work with several Orthodox Jewish women at my schools, and I have no problem wishing them this. "Happy holidays" may be a safe, politically correct way of trying not to offend people, but frankly I'm offended when people who should know better don't recognize which "holiday" makes me happy. If I feel that way, I should extend the same courtesy to others.

Having some Jewish ancestry myself, I find the story of the Maccabees to be fascinating. While in my tradition we don't recognize the books of the Maccabees as canonical Scripture, the story itself is inspiring, and it also helps to fill in the gap between Malachi and Matthew. The struggle of the pious Jews to resist the Hellenizing influences pushed my Antiochus Epiphanes reflects similar struggles we see in the Old Testament narratives. That same struggle continued to follow the Jews even up to our own times. Certainly there is a fine example of human spirit and courage against the odds in this story.

However, it's not just about what the Maccabees and their followers did, as inspirational as that was. In the story of Chanukah we see the power of God in action, enabling outnumbered and outequipped fighters to throw off the oppression of a conqueror set on wiping out the knowledge and worship of God. Many Jews had acquiesced to Antiochus, so the numbers of the rebels were further reduced. Yet they were able to win their freedom back, thanks to their faithfulness to God and refusal to accept the pagan ways of their oppressors.

I also have no problem with believing the miracle of the oil. I know this is disputed among many scholars, even some who don't dismiss the miraculous outright, but I believe that God has the power to accomplish miracles, and such a sign would have been very appropriate at the time.

In John 10:22 we are told that Jesus went to Jerusalem for the Feast of Dedication, which is our modern Chanukah. Perhaps the story was fresh in people's minds, since in the dialogue that follows they ask Jesus to state plainly whether or not He was the Messiah. They may have been looking for a hero like the Maccabees to lead them against their oppressors. Jesus didn't fall into the trap of their assumptions, since He was going to be a different kind of Messiah, but Chanukah and its history certainly are a precursor to the coming King, who unlike the Hasmoneans will be a legitimate descendant of David.

So, whether you are Jewish, Christian, or follow some other faith, enjoy the story of Chanukah, and don't be afraid to wish someone you know a "Happy Chanukah" this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment