Sunday, September 22, 2013

Taking the church outside

One of the characteristics of my home church is a stated desire to "take church outside these four walls." Over the years I have been a member, we have done this in a variety of ways. My pastor likes to describe us as "Colts Neck Community Church-where community is our middle name." I have been in a number of churches in my days (which is getting to be an increasingly large number!), and I think I can say without too much prejudice that our church is making a very good effort at taking the message of the love of Christ out to where people are.

This morning we took "taking the church outside" quite literally, and had our service out in the front yard right by the road. This wan't just a gimmick; our goal was to attract people to something a little different when they might not be inclined just to go to a "church service" in a building. Members of the church invited friends to come, and we had a large number of visitors. The most significant moment came when two people were baptized, professing their faith in Jesus Christ. (We set up a small pool outside; an outdoor baptism is a serious thing for Baptists!) After the service, we engaged in the sacred ritual of "lunch" while a worship band played. It was a meaningful and exciting day for the church.

I'm sharing this because I think that what we did today was representative of what we believe the church should be about. I've been part of too many churches that engage in serving those on the inside of the church and building programs to satisfy the needs of the existing congregation. That is certainly something that every church needs to do, but it isn't the sum total of what Jesus wants us to be. The Great Commission tells us to "go into all the world," and the verb go implies that we need to move out. I believe that every church, as a group of people who believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father and who want to show His love to others, needs to be involved in the community in which they have been placed.

When I served as an interim pastor, I often encouraged the members of the churches I served by reminding them that they were not where they were by accident. God has each church in its time and place to accomplish His purpose in their location. Each member of the church is not there by accident, either; we are all placed by the Lord in the place He wants us to be to carry out our mission with that congregation. Our goal should be to understand the purpose and mission which God has for us, and to carry out that purpose and that mission for the glory of Jesus Christ.

Your church may never go outside for a service, but I would encourage you to go outside for mission for Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment