Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Depth of Sin


In preparing for this Sunday's sermon, I came across this quote from Spurgeon about the true meaning and depth of sin. May this motivate us all to seek to honor our Lord by resisting temptation today.

"After all his tenderness, in which he has acted towards us as a father to his child, we have turned against him and harboured his enemy; we have found our pleasure in grieving him, and have called his commands burdens, and his service a weariness. Shall we not repent of this? Can we continue to act thus basely? This day, my God, I hate sin not because it damns me, but because it has done thee wrong. To have grieved my God is the worst of grief to me. The heart renewed by grace feels a deep sympathy with God in the ungrateful treatment which he has received from us. It cries out, “How could I have offended him? Why did I treat so gracious a God in so disgraceful a manner? He has done me good and no evil, wherefore have I slighted him? “Had the Eternal been a tyrant and had his laws been despotic, I could imagine some dignity in a revolt against him; but seeing he is a Father full of gentleness and tenderness, whose loving kindnesses are beyond all count, sin against him is exceeding sinful. Sin is worse than bestial, for the beasts only return evil for evil; it is devilish-for it returns evil for good. Sin is lifting our heel against our benefactor-it is base ingratitude, treason, causeless hate, spite against holiness, and a preference for that which is low and grovelling-but whither am I going? Sin is sin, and in that word we have said all."

(From "The Monster Dragged to Light," Sermon 1095, Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit Vol. 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment