Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of the season of Lent. As a Baptist, observance of the liturgical calendar is not something I grew up with, and I do not feel compelled to do so today. I did develop an appreciation for the liturgical calendar during my seminary days, when I attended a strongly liturgical seminary. (Where, I might add somewhat ironically, I became the choir director and more or less chief cantor, even once leading a sung litany.) The liturgical calendar requires the remembrance of the significant events in the life of Jesus, and reminds us of theological themes (such as Pentecost, the Ascension, and the Trinity)we might otherwise let pass for long periods of time otherwise.

That said, I think that Lent (and its companion season, Advent) can be significant times for Christians. Many who observe Lent as part of their religious culture or upbringing often trivialize the idea of self-discipline and sacrifice that are part of the season. It is almost seen as a time of doing something to curry favor with God, to remind Him of why He is fortunate to have us as His followers. Such cultural observances miss the main point of Lent.

Lent is a penitential season. It is a time not to try to win God's favor, but to remember His mercy. If I choose to give up something for Lent, I should replace the time spent on that activity with prayer to draw me closer to the Lord. In a sense, the sacrifice is nothing without the intent. I have given up a number of things I enjoyed this year, but in an effort to lose weight. Such a sacrifice, though no doubt good for me, is not primarily about drawing closer to Jesus, but about maintaining my health. That is not a Lenten sacrifice.

So what do I intend to give up for Lent? Nothing. I do not feel compelled to do so. Yet I do plan to observe Lent as a time of reflection, penitence, and prayer. I intend rather than "giving up" something for Lent to "take on" something. I want to prepare my heart for Good Friday and Easter by taking time to draw closer to God. This probably requires more discipline and sacrifice than "giving up" would!

I have felt Jesus prompting me to more and deeper times of prayer. I know I have a long way to go in the practice of prayer, and I believe that what He is calling me to do requires it.  So for Lent I want to set aside specific time to pray for the Holy Spirit to cleanse and work in my heart, and for the Lord to make His will clear to me. I believe that will fulfill the true intent of the Lenten season.

No comments:

Post a Comment